I have to admit that I have never ever cooked deep-fried food till date. Any food deep-fried related is always looked after by my husband (bless him, he’s really good at it). I have several (genuine!) reasons for not cooking deep-fried food.
1. The smell of hot oil whilst cooking absolutely makes me feel sick.
2. I don’t have the patience to stand and watch it frying.
3. I am scared of hot oil splattering on me. Lol. Seriously!!
And the list goes on…….. 😛
But anyway, today I decided to step up slightly and challenge my culinary skills and make some ‘vegetable tempura’. The recipe looked easy and I had all the ingredients at home so I gave it a go. 🙂
– 3-4 table spoon plain flour
– 1 table spoon corn flour
– Powdered pepper (this was my choice to give the tempura some flavour)
– Cut vegetables
– Salt to taste
** Olive oil for frying (sorry i did not include this in the picture).
1. Mix the batter ingredients in a bowl. Plain flour, corn flour, pepper powder, slat and cold water (cold water is supposed to make the tempura crispy).
2. Heat oil in a pan to deep fry the tempura.
3. Once the oil is heated, dip the vegetables in the batter and fry it in the hot oil.
4. Fry the tempura till it turns golden and crisp.
5. After frying, drain the excess oil from the tempura on a kitchen towel.
*My tempura was ready by now. However, I was not going to eat it immediately. So…
6. I left the tempura in the oven (with the door slightly open) for a while to keep them warm and let them stay crisp.
7. Finally, serve with a sauce of you’re choice. I chose chilli garlic sauce. Yummm 😀
So that was my vegetable tempura. It did not take too long for mix the batter and fry the tempura. Very simple and worth indulging during this miserable cold weather. 😉 Hope you all had a great start to you’re week. Xxx